Smart technology is gaining popularity everywhere, particularly in the home. While this may seem like a “buzzword” that is not worth the price tag, there are certain items that really do make it worth your while. A Smart Thermostat is at the top of the list for “most useful Smart technology” for a long list of reasons, including comfort, savings, and ease. Here are some reasons why Smart thermostats are great and what to look for when shopping for one. If you would like to install a smart thermostat contact us at Reliance Home Comfort to help.
Benefits of a Smart thermostat
- Remote Control – one of the most popular reasons to get a Smart thermostat is because of the convenience of having remote control of the temperature. Whether you are out of town or you just don’t want to get out of bed in the middle of the night, having access to your thermostat through your Smartphone is a game changer. You forgot to turn the air conditioning off when you left for a week’s vacation? No problem, just click on the app. Do you live with someone very young or old? You can monitor the temperature in your home even when you are not there and adjust it to make sure your loved ones are comfortable at all times. There are a variety of reasons why you would want to be able to access your thermostat remotely, and a Smart thermostat allows you to do just that.
- Communication within Home – Smart technologies have the ability to communicate with each other and this can be beneficial. Connecting your thermostat with an Amazon Alexa or a Google Home means you can access it with your voice and you don’t even have to pull your phone out. Raise or lower the temperature, set a reminder to order a new HVAC filter, or actually order the filter with your voice.
- Pattern Recognition – these Smart thermostats begin to learn your habits from Day 1. They recognize what times of the day you like the temperature warmer or cooler, or when you are comfortable. They will also communicate with your phone and know through GPS technology when you leave and when you are on your way home from work. This allows the thermostat to optimize energy usage when changing the temperature, waiting for you to arrive home.
- Savings – One of the greatest attributes of a Smart thermostat is the savings it creates. Whether you are concerned with saving energy or saving money, the Smart thermostat does both. The way these thermostats are able to save is through learning your patterns and planning ahead. When you manually change the temperature on the thermostat, your HVAC sort of goes into overdrive, trying to reach the desired temperature quickly. However, once learning your patterns, the thermostat can plan ahead and make the adjustments in a more efficient way. If you like it to be cool while sleeping but then like to raise the temperature when you get up, your thermostat will learn that habit and raise the temperature at a more efficient pace. This uses less energy, and in turn, saves money on your bill at the end of the month.
What to look for when shopping
- Easy to use – read reviews and go check out the thermostats you are thinking about to see if it is something that you are comfortable using. If you aren’t tech-savvy, it is important to find something that is easier to operate. Most Smart thermostats are user-friendly but it is always good to give them a test drive if possible. Go check things out at a local store or check out review videos online.
- Geofencing – this is a really cool feature that allows you to draw an invisible line around your home. If you cross the boundary, it alerts the thermostat and that is its cue that you have left the building and that it should adjust temps accordingly.
- Display – Not only should the thermostat be easy to use, but it should also have a display that works for you. The display should be big enough that it is easy to see and use the touchscreen. You can also check for screens that have motion detectors – they light up when they sense you and then dim themselves when you walk away. This saves energy and makes sure that you don’t have a bright light on all the time.
It is always a great time to upgrade to a Smart thermostat – savings, comfort, and convenience begin immediately. Contact us at Reliance Home Comfort today to discuss what models there are and which one would fit your lifestyle and budget the best.